It’s no surprise that a company known for its optics has developed a keen understanding of the importance of visual clarity. Leupold’s recent development of a performance eyewear line is a logical extension of this knowledge base — after all, the perceived quality of your scope is easily diminished if you’re squinting at it through a pair of scuffed-up dollar-store shades. The new line of Leupold sunglasses consists of five models, ranging from range-oriented wraparound styles to casual and EDC-friendly designs.
We recently received a sample of the new Leupold Becnara, seen above. The Becnara offers a squared-off shape with shatterproof, mirror polarized lenses. Four colorways are currently available for this style: matte black with bronze lenses (pictured), matte black / gloss black with gray lenses, matte black / matte tortoise with bronze lenses, and matte tortoise with blue lenses.
We found these sunglasses to be sturdy and comfortable — the rubberized inserts at the nose and behind the ear are a nice touch. We also appreciate the subtle Leupold branding on these lifestyle shades. The polarized lenses do a great job of cutting down on glare while driving.
Although the Becnara isn’t ballistic rated due to its open-sided design, many of the other styles in the Leupold sunglasses line are fully Z87.1 rated for maximum eye protection at the range. The Packout (pictured below), Switchback, and Tracer all offer shooting-oriented wraparound coverage, while the Becnara and Katmai fall into the more casual lifestyle category. Most of the designs are also prescription-compatible.
The new Leupold sunglasses are designed, machined, and assembled in the USA. MSRPs range from $130 to $190, depending on style and lens type. For more information, go to Leupold.com.
- 50 Shades of Gray Man: Blending In Versus Standing OutBlending in as a gray man helps you become transparent in a hostile environment. This is important to protect oneself and one’s family, no matter the setting.
- The Way of the Tijuana Donkey – Ed Calderon’s Gray Man MindsetIf you’re traveling, adapting your outward appearance to fit in with the local population is an important element of becoming a gray man, but it’s not always easy.
- Giveaway: RECOIL’s 12 Days of Christmas 2019RECOIL just launched the 12 Days of Christmas 2019 giveaway series, which will deliver a dozen cool prizes to 12 lucky people this month. Entry is free!
- Review: Shorts from 5.11 Tactical, Kitanica, and VertxSummer weather can be a double-edged sword if you’re not dressed accordingly. We reviewed shorts from 5.11 Tactical, Kitanica, and Vertx that will keep you cool.
- RECOILtv: A Quick Look at PHLster Medical EDC GearThe PHLster Pocket Emergency Wallet carries a compression wrap, gauze, hemostatic pad, and gloves. The Flatpack Tourniquet Carrier retains a TQ with strong elastic straps.
- Reader’s Bag Drop: Winter Survival Pack LoadoutsI live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Up in Calumet, their record is over 30 feet of snow during the winter. Blizzards are not rare.
- Is COVID-19 Creating a Nationwide Ammunition Shortage?Concerns over COVID-19 have led to some interesting trends in gun and ammunition sales. Most shooters who’ve gone through these shortages before have learned from the past.
- New: HK Knives Mini Incursion OTF AutomaticThe new HK Knives Mini Incursion is made in the USA with an ambidextrous push-pull switch that swiftly deploys and retracts the 2.95-inch blade.
- Cold Open – Part 2: Cold-Weather Clothing Buyer’s GuideWe reviewed several pieces of cold weather clothing, including eyewear from ESS and Oakley, and outerwear and baselayers from Arc’teryx, Eddie Bauer, and Varusteleka.
The post New: Leupold Sunglasses & Shooting Eyewear appeared first on RECOIL OFFGRID.